Thursday, January 2, 2014

Three Wishes

Wailea Seaside Chapel at the Grand Wailea
(Second of a series)
December 15, 2013


I was drawn to the lovely Wailea Seaside Chapel. Aside from my curiosity, I had to go inside because I practice the Catholic tradition of saying a prayer and making three wishes when visiting a church for the first time.

Wailea Seaside Chapel at Grand Wailea - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
The charming Seaside Chapel at the Grand Wailea in Maui.

Wailea Seaside Chapel at Grand Wailea - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
The New England style chapel with clock tower 

This classic yet elegant chapel boasts of stained glass window panels on each wall. Specially designed by local artist Yvonne Cheng, every floor-to-ceiling glass panel provides a glimpse of traditional Hawaiian life, each symbolizing new beginnings.  I can see why brides and grooms from all over the world, including celebrities, would want to exchange their I do's here.

Wailea Seaside Chapel at Grand Wailea - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
 I stood in awe while gazing at the colorful stained glass murals and the stunning 17th century style chandeliers. Later, I learned that the exquisite chandeliers were handcrafted at Murano Glass in Venice, Italy.  

Wailea Seaside Chapel at Grand Wailea - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
Inside, the chapel is lustrous with its cherry wood altar and pews complemented by sapele mahogany walls.

I made my way to the last pew and knelt down to pray. I gave thanks for the wonderful opportunity to celebrate Christmas with my family in Maui.

Then I wished for good health -- that none of us would catch the flu while we're here.  That wouldn't be fun.

Second, I wished for good weather during our visit.  Before getting here, I heard it had been rainy in Hawaii.  It would be disappointing if we had wet weather since we booked a lot of outdoor activities for this trip.

And finally, and most importantly, I wished that I would be granted another return trip to this paradise.


Wailea Seaside Chapel at Grand Wailea - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
The enchanting Seaside Chapel seems afloat on the koi-filled pond that surrounds it.  

Wailea Seaside Chapel at Grand Wailea - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
Large koi fish, known for good fortune, abound in the tranquil pond surrounding the chapel. 

Wailea Seaside Chapel at sunset - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
Though charming in size, it overflows with splendor. It looks serene, romantic, and reverent. 

Learn more about the Wailea Seaside Chapel and its stained glass panels here:


This story was continued from blogpost entitled "Amazeballs."  Continued on My Heart Smiled. More to come.

No comments:

NOLA 300 - Mardi Gras and New Orleans

This blog has moved to a new site:   curiousdonna.com/blog Read about  NOLA 300   here .