Sunday, January 5, 2014

Bouncing off the Clouds

Haleakala Bike Tour
(Fifth of a Series)

Day 3 - December 17, 2013

My hubby Alan didn't want to just visit the famous Maui volcano again during our return trip. This time around, he wanted to try the Haleakala downhill bike ride. So I made arrangements for Bike Maui's 9:30 a.m. Summit Deluxe Tour. (Research warned me that the sunrise ride was a wee bit early and probably too cold for me. Although I hear that it's an experience of a lifetime.)

Bike Maui's Haleakala Bike Tour - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
We rented our bikes from Bike Maui

After selecting our bikes and receiving our gear, our entire tour group boarded a shuttle commandeered by the lively tour guide named Kimo.  He drove us all the way to the Haleakala National Park's Visitor Center located at the peak so we could view the crater. Along the way, Kimo regaled us with his fun tales and historical facts while pointing at landmarks to help us easily find our way back.

Haleakala National Park - http://www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
The entrance to Haleaka National Park in Maui

Haleakala crater - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
At the summit (about 10,000 ft), you can look down at the breathtaking Haleakala crater. 

Haleakala crater - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
Haleakala, which means "House of the Sun," forms about 75% of the island of Maui.

I don't remember noticing the 'ahinahina or silversword plant the last time we were up here. Its leaves that appear like silver hairs piqued my curiosity. I learned that this endangered species has a very delicate root structure that can easily be damaged just by walking around the plant.

'ahinahina in Haleakala - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
'Ahinahina or silversword plant

After our short visit at the summit, Kimo took us down to the 6500 feet level to start the 23 mile ride downhill.

Haleakala Downhill Bike Ride - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
Posing before our 23-mile bike journey

Haleakala Bike Ride - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
I guess I flashed the I Love You sign instead of Hang Loose.  

With Alan leading the way, me in the middle, and Trevor at my tail, we began our exciting downhill journey. I'll admit I was white-knuckled at first while zipping down the mountain and making the turns. I kept reassuring myself, "You're doing just fine. You're doing fabulous." Soon enough, I relaxed and bicycled with ease. The views were stunning!


Haleakala Bike Tour - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
Biking down Haleakala

Haleakala bike ride - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
It was a great day for an amazing bike ride down Haleakala.

View from Haleakala downhill bike ride - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
It was gratifying to see stunning views of the vast blue ocean and the lush greenery.

We only made a few stops to take some pictures and get a quick bite at Maui Lavender. What an exhilarating experience! And there was no rain. We were yet again granted beautiful weather. I couldn't be more thrilled.

My favorite part of the tour was when Kimo, our creative and entertaining tour guide, took us to a spot for a perfect photo opp.  We were at a level above the clouds and it created a great backdrop.  He instructed us to jump as he quickly took a snapshot.  The result was a fun pic making it appear as though we're jumping on cloud trampolines.

Haleakala summit - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
At this level, we were above the clouds

At the Haleakala Summit - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
With this great backdrop, all we had to do was jump to look like we're skydiving.

At the Haleakala Summit - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
We're bouncing off the clouds!

At the Haleakala Summit - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
Whee!!!

Later that day, I sent photos to my friend Cheryl via text.  She said, "From the pic, looked like a beautiful clear day. Lucky."

Lucky indeed!


Continued from It's A Hula-Day! Next is Heavenly Pampering. More to come on this Maui adventure.


No comments:

NOLA 300 - Mardi Gras and New Orleans

This blog has moved to a new site:   curiousdonna.com/blog Read about  NOLA 300   here .