Saturday, January 4, 2014

It's a Hula-day

The Te Au Moana Luau
(Fourth of a series)

Day 2 - December 16, 2013

A visit to Hawaii would not be complete without going to a luau.  My good friend Cheryl recommended the Te Au Moana Luau presented at Wailea Beach Marriott Resort and Spa.  During my early morning exploratory walk the day before, I discovered it's just next door to Grand Wailea! All it took was a 5-minute leisurely walk from our hotel room to the venue.

Te Au Moana Luau at the Marriott - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
We all agreed to meet at 4:30 pm so we could save good seats.  I was surprised to see the place already filling up.

Te Au Moana Luau - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
Our group photo with Cheryl and Mike at the Te Au Moana Luau

While waiting for the feast to start, we received our orchid leis, had our photos taken, and chatted away over mai tais and pina coladas.  I told Alan and Trevor that Cheryl and her husband Mike own Mele Ukulele, known to be the Best Ukulele Shop in Maui. We asked them if they've ever met any celebrities at their store.  Apparently, several famous folks such as Mick Fleetwood, Steve Miller, John Fogerty, and even comedian Mike Myers have purchased ukuleles from them.

Soon a young man, dressed in traditional Hawaiian garment, trumpeted with a conch shell horn.  It was his way of inviting guests to come closer to the imu or oven pit.  Here they "unveiled" the kalua pig and signaled the start of the feast.

imu at Te Au Moana luau - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
Guests gathered round the imu or oven pit to witness the unveiling of the kalua pig. 

kalua pig at Te Au Moana luau - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
Presenting the kalua pig, the star of the luau feast.  Kalua means to cook in an underground oven.

We all joined the buffet line where Cheryl explained to me that Kalua Pork goes well with Lomi Lomi salmon (Think Hawaiian salsa made of salmon, tomatoes, and Maui onions.)  After trying that combination, I don't think I could have Kalua Pork any other way. Yummy! It was great to enjoy all the delicious food including the grilled teriyaki steaks, seafood pasta, shoyu chicken, and Hawaiian fried rice while watching the sun slowly go to sleep.

Te Au Moana Luau at Wailea Marriott - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
This wasn't even the main performance.  But the pre-show was a visual delight against the spectacular Maui sunset.
The ocean and the setting sun provided an incredible stage backdrop. And once the sun had set, the stage remained vibrant with colorful dance performances and storytelling of Hawaiian legends.






I was so excited to see my friend and former grade school classmate who is now a long time resident of Maui. I have such fond memories of her and my childhood.  I still vividly recall how she and her sisters -- along with me and my sisters -- would always sit together at the same lunch table in school. 

Cheryl and I somehow manage to find each other even after being out of touch for years. Thanks to social media and a recent class reunion, we reconnected once again.

Te Au Moana luau adventure  - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
Cheryl and me

Continued from My Heart Smiled. More Maui adventures to follow. See Bouncing Off The Clouds.


No comments:

NOLA 300 - Mardi Gras and New Orleans

This blog has moved to a new site:   curiousdonna.com/blog Read about  NOLA 300   here .