Sunday, January 12, 2014

Heavenly Pampering

Spa Grande at Grand Wailea
(Sixth of a Series)

Day 4 - December 18, 2013

Some pampering time at the spa? Yes, please!

I didn't want to leave Grand Wailea without experiencing the award-winning Spa Grande. I saw an ad in the Hana Hou in-flight magazine stating that it is the Top Hotel Spa in Hawaii (Travel + Leisure). I'm not going to pass up this chance unlike the last time -- see blog post SPA-tastic!

With an appointment set for 8:00 a.m., I was the first guest at this lovely sanctuary that day. I enjoyed the advantage of having the entire place exclusively to myself for an hour!

Spa Grande at Grand Wailea - http://www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
The grandiose entrance to Spa Grande at the Grand Wailea.

Roman Whirlpool at Spa Grande - http://www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
I started my self-pampering time with a dip in this inviting Roman whirlpool and cold plunge.

What's distinctive about this spa is its philosophy of East meets West...in the Hawaiian Islands. The East uses herbs and ancient Eastern techniques while the West uses new technologies to enhance inner and outer beauty. And here, it's a harmonious combination of both plus the Hawaiian touch.

The other differentiating feature of this spa is the Terme Hydrotherapy Circuit. Words are not quite enough to describe the experience.  Thankfully, Spa Grande has this video that walks you through it. [Video Clip]

This video best explains the Terme Hydrotherapy Circuit experience at Spa Grande.


After soaking in the Roman Whirlpool, I made my way to the Hawaiian corner.  I thoroughly enjoyed the cascading waterfalls. Imagine soaking underneath a giant faucet with water dropping from 10 feet above you. The hydro pressure on my neck, shoulders, and and back felt good! It reminded me of my favorite feature in Aquae Sulis Spa of JW Marriott in Las Vegas

The tropical shower was just as invigorating.  This shower enclosure surrounds you with 50 water spouts and a large shower head.  The result is a jet stream of water that massages you from head to toe.

Following this, I explored the sea salt baths. These magnificent baths were developed exclusively for Spa Grande using minerals, herbs, fruits, and essences that are indigenous to Hawaii.

Sea Salt Baths at Spa Grande - http://www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
The five Hawaiian sea salt baths. (Photo courtesy of Spa Grande at Grand Wailea.)

Each bath of various colors and aromas offered benefits ranging from relieving stress to nourishing the skin. I tried the Kaua'i bath with lava red sea salt and tropical guava; the Lana'i bath with green papaya sea salt and golden pineapple; and the Maui bath with Wailea Blue sea salt and cocounut nectar.  At the end of it all, I smelled like Hawaii!

Hawaiian sea salts of Spa Grande - http://www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
This is what convinced me to go.  At the entrance to the spa is a display explaining the different bath soaks from indigenous Hawaiian sea salts.

In between my explorations, I was invited to the treatment room for a full-body honey-mango exfoliation.  I lay on my stomach on the spa treatment table while the spa attendant gently scrubbed my back, arms, and legs with a loofah.  It felt like light rain on my body when she rinsed me off using a shower wand.

Mind you, all of this is accessible to a guest for only $55 (2 hours in the facility) or comes complimentary when you book a spa treatment. Someday, I'd like to return and try the Six-Hand Lava Stone Massage.  It's where three therapists (yes three!) simultaneously massage your entire body with hot lava stones.  Sounds heavenly!

On the "East side" of the spa, I tried the Japanese furo bath -- a shallow pool with bubbles emanating from the bottom, gently massaging the body as the air bubbles rise to the surface. The spa attendant pointed out the traditional Japanese shower in this area.  It is low level and has no shower head. Instead, it has a shower wand and a wooden stool as it is meant for one to sit while showering.

I didn't know much about the furo bath until I did some research recently. I learned that in the traditional Japanese ritual of bathing, a wooden bathtub is filled with water and left overnight. It is important to be completely clean before entering the bath.  This is why there's a Japanese type shower next to it where one sits on a small wooden stool and lightly rinses off before entering the bath.


Spa Grande private lanai - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
Spa Grande's private lanai. (Photo courtesy of Spa Grande at Grand Wailea,)

As a fitting finale to my pampering session, I went upstairs to the relaxation area -- a private lanai with sweeping views of the resort's Relaxation Pool and the Wailea Beach. This alone makes Spa Grande one of the best spas in the world.

Now I can check out without hesitation.


Continued from Bouncing Off The Clouds, It's A Hula-day, and My Heart Smiled. More on this adventure continued on Chasing Double Rainbows.



No comments:

NOLA 300 - Mardi Gras and New Orleans

This blog has moved to a new site:   curiousdonna.com/blog Read about  NOLA 300   here .