Friday, January 3, 2014

My Heart Smiled


The Beach, The Pools, The Restaurants at The Grand Wailea
(Third of a series)

Day 2 - December 16, 2013


The day after our arrival, I got up at sunrise to explore the grounds of Grand Wailea.  Several early birds were already roaming the property like I was. Most were doing their morning run. I walked past an entire group of mostly ladies, with towels under their arms, preparing for 7:00 a.m. beach yoga.

First stop, Wailea Beach. [Watch 12-second video.]

How I love the soothing sound of ocean waves and the rippling water on my bare feet! This beach is so clean that it seems untouched.  The fine red sand here is incredibly smooth and soft. You don't have to worry about hurting your feet with pebbles, rocks, or broken shells because there are none.

sunrise at Wailea Beach - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
Sunrise at Wailea Beach
A meandering pathway weaved together the high end resorts in this area. Following the walkway, I found even more striking views from different vantage points.  And I chanced upon a small shack that served Starbucks coffee. Bingo!

The path also led me to a lookout point popular for whale sightings. It had an informational sign about humpback whales and the surrounding islands. From that very spot, you could easily see the Molokini crater and the island of Kaho'olawe behind it. In the distance, the island of Lanai is also visible.

sunrise at Wailea Beach in Maui - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
It doesn't take a professional photographer to capture great photos here.

As the sun rose higher, I discovered more about this 40-acre sprawling property.

Hibiscus Pool at Grand Wailea in Maui - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
The Hibiscus Pool at Grand Wailea.

Hibiscus Pool at Grand Wailea - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
A closer look at Grand Wailea's Hibiscus Pool.
The bottom of this pool is inlaid with a giant hibiscus made of Mexican mosaic tile.

While the Hibiscus Pool is reserved for adults, there's the Wailea Canyon Activity Pool perfect for the entire family's enjoyment.  I found water slides, waterfalls, a kiddie pool, a river, a rope swing( a la Tarzan), and even a swim up bar.  I guess they all connected to form the large Canyon Activity pool which is about 2,000 feet in length.  That's about five times the length of a football field...with end zones! You can find out more about the Pools at Grand Wailea here.


Reflecting Pool at Grand Wailea in Maui - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
Ok so I had to insert this photo.  Sorry couldn't resist.
This was taken in front of the Grand Wailea's Reflecting Pool.

Ah yes, the restaurants.  I wanted to dine at the famous Humuhumunukunukuapua'a.  (You can just call it Humu for short.  They'll know what you mean.)  Sadly, I was out-voted by the two picky eaters in the family. I thought I'd have better chances of going to Amasia, the best new restaurant by renowned Chef Alan Wong. But no such luck.  I must return and bring along my foodie friends with me.  More about the Grand Wailea restaurants here.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a Restaurant in Grand Wailea - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
Can you say it with me? Humuhumunukunukuapua'a is an award-winning restaurant.  

Ocean view from inside Humuhumunukunukuapua'a - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
The view from inside Humuhumunukunukuapua'a restaurant.
Look at that! I wish I had taken a photo also at sunset.

Humuhumunukunukuapua'a restaurant at Grand Wailea - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
It's no wonder this restaurant garnered "Best Table for Two" by Islands Magazine. 

Romantic Humuhumunukunukuapua'a restaurant at Grand Wailea - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
The ambience is both romantic and relaxing.

We spent the rest of the day at the famous beach.  Alan found a perfect spot where the staff set up some lounge chairs and a beach umbrella for us.  But after only a few minutes of relaxation, I craved some fun water activity.

Beachfront at Grand Wailea - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
Guests flocked to the beach to lounge, sunbathe, swim, snorkel, paddle-board, or kayak.

Beach at Grand Wailea - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
I couldn't have asked for a more gorgeous day!

I called Trevor to jump in the back of my tandem kayak rental.  We paddled into the ocean in sync: left, right, left, right. Having paddled far enough, we turned the kayak around to look at where we started.  That's when the majestic mountain behind our resort revealed itself in full glory.

"Wow!" we both gasped, stopping to marvel at the unbelievable sight in front of us.

"I wish I had my camera right now," I sighed.

"You know, a recent study revealed that people who take more pictures remember less about their experiences," Trevor said matter-of-factly.

"OK, let's just stay here a bit longer to take it all in. Then let's paddle back to shore so your Dad can go next. He has to see this!"

"I love Hawaii," Trevor said for the nth time.

My heart smiled and echoed his sentiment.  I'm so, so grateful!


Continued from blogpost "Three Wishes" and "Amazeballs." More on this adventure coming up. See It's A Hula-day.



2 comments:

Some Lovely said...

I found your blog after the Grand Wailea featured your post on its Facebook page. My husband and I stayed there last February and I have to agree with you that that place really is "Amazeballs!" I love your photographs of the hotel, they're much richer than the ones that I took. I'm looking forward to reading about more of your travel adventures! Cheers!

Curious Adventurer said...

Hello S. Marie,
I appreciate the kind words from a fellow blogger! My stay at Grand Wailea was a very memorable and special one for me and my family. I do hope I can make it back someday soon.

Glad you enjoyed my blogpost and photos from my recent Maui adventure. There is so much more to share from our Hawaii vacation and I do hope you keep reading.

Thank and regards,
The Curious Adventurer

NOLA 300 - Mardi Gras and New Orleans

This blog has moved to a new site:   curiousdonna.com/blog Read about  NOLA 300   here .