Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Take It All Off!

The Public Bath 
Inside Seikoro Inn,
A ryokan in Kyoto
October 8, 2014

Part 2

Ever been to a public bath in a ryokan? Umm, what exactly do you do in here?

Public bath, Seikoro Inn, Kyoto - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
You wonder:  how exactly do you bathe in here?
Ladies are expected to completely take off their clothes and thoroughly wash themselves FIRST in one of the shower stalls. Just like in a regular spa, the hot tub is meant for soaking and relaxing.

Public bath, Seikoro Inn, Kyoto - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
You must wash yourself first in one of these shower stalls.
I couldn't do it. I kept my swimsuit on. Even if this public bath was exclusive to women (they have a separate one for the men), I couldn't bring myself to strip down completely. And I was alone in there for the most part.

Public bath, Seikoro Inn, Kyoto - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
The main entrance to the women's public bath
Before traveling to Japan, I researched the "How To's." I knew that in this communal bath, I was supposed to rigorously rinse myself clean while sitting on the little stool. It is only AFTER cleansing that I could soak in the hot bath.

The very first time I was introduced to this was when I visited the award-winning Grand Wailea Spa in Maui. (You can read that story here.) Also, see bottom of this post to learn the proper way of having a Japanese bath.

Public bath, Seikoro Inn, Kyoto - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
The steamy water in this spa helped soothe tired muscles.

After going through the drill, I sat in the spa and enjoyed how the hot water loosened up my muscles. It was exactly what I needed after walking all day.

In my previous post Inside The Ryokan - Part 1,  I talked about seizing this moment: when no one else was here so I could take as many photos as I wanted. I was so glad I had exclusivity...even for just a while.

Public bath, Seikoro Inn, Kyoto - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
Like a modern spa, they have complete amenities. Behind me is the shelving unit to store clothes.
Just as I was getting ready to leave, another guest walked in. Without hesitation, she fully unrobed and stashed her clothes in one of the cubby shelves. I'm not sure if she noticed I had a swimsuit on. She must've thought I was some kinda weirdo.

My eyes discreetly followed her. She went straight for one of the stalls, plopped on a stool, and then scrubbed herself clean like nobody's business. Truthfully, I wanted to watch to see how it's really done but I'm sure she would not have approved. 

Seikoro Inn, a ryokan in Kyoto - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
The stairway that takes you to the communal bath.
I gathered my things and headed back to my room. As I wandered down the hallways, I found so many interesting art pieces at every turn. This ryokan is really lovely. 

Seikoro Inn, a ryokan in Kyoto - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
This right here is one of my favorite art ensemble in the ryokan.
Seikoro Inn, a ryokan in Kyoto - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
Interesting art pieces make this ryokan even more homey.
Seikoro Inn, a ryokan in Kyoto - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
Lovely wall art
Seikoro Inn, a ryokan in Kyoto - www.curiousadventurer.blogspot.com
The hallway leading back to my room.
I was happy that I had my fill of relaxation for the day. After that much needed interlude, I was ready to eat. In my next post, I'll take you through my kaiseki, or five-course dining experience in the ryokan.

What is the proper way of having a Japanese bath? ~ Source: JAPANiCAN.com

In the changing area, remove all your clothes. You may take a small towel with you into the bathing area. After entering the bathing area, but before entering the main bath, you should wash your entire body. The reason for this is that in Japan, the bath is a shared facility to soak and relax in; it is not used for washing. Once you have washed yourself, enter the bath and relax!

The showers in Japanese public baths consist of seated-type stalls. It is considered bad manners to stand while taking a shower in this kind of stall. It is also considered bad manners to immerse your towel in the bath water.

Please note that some ryokan do not allow guests with tatoos to use the public bathing areas. If you have a tattoo, you should contact the ryokan or JAPANiCAN Customer Support beforehand to confirm that you will be able to use the baths. Many ryokan that do not allow guests with tatoos to use the public baths will still allow them to use the private reservable baths.


No comments:

NOLA 300 - Mardi Gras and New Orleans

This blog has moved to a new site:   curiousdonna.com/blog Read about  NOLA 300   here .